Saturday, December 31, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

When I was a kid, we watched the ball drop and listened to Guy Lombardo usher in the new year.  It was a much more genteel version of what New Years Eve is these days, that's for sure.  I remember watching all of those couples dancing to the big band music and thought it must be quite glamorous to get to go to a place like New York, stay in some fancy hotel and watch the ball drop before dancing the night away. 

We lived in the country, the neighbors sprayed their fields with pesticides and the run-off got into the well water that we drank.  Leave me alone.

"Auld Lang Syne" makes me think of New Year's Eve before Dick Clark took over.  And no offense to Dick Clark, but he really needs to retire.  It is painful to watch him emcee this event year after year.  Anyway, I liked New Year's Rockin' Eve back when I was in high school, but when I look back on past NYE's, I do not hear Lady Gaga, Prince or Bruce Springsteen; I hear Guy Lombardo.  I remember parties at our house when we were kids.  And I hear the big band strains of "Auld Lang Syne".

No comments: