Monday, December 19, 2011

Away in a Manger

It's a rule that when kids are doing a Christmas program, "Away in a Manger" must be one of the songs they perform.  I'm not sure why though, maybe it's because of the simplicity of the melody.  Since she was the youngest baby in the church (11 weeks), my youngest daughter portrayed the baby Jesus in a program about ten years ago.  For some reason, Mary, Joseph and all of the Wise Men didn't seem overly thrilled when she spit up all over Mary.  Thankfully, no one else took her cue or else I think the program might have gotten derailed!

The song was first published in 1885, with only two verses and was originally entitled "Luther's Cradle Song". However, the music was composed by J.E. Clark and was called "St. Kilda" prior to the addition of the lyrics.  Martin Luther was credited as writing the lyrics, however, this was not true.  The third verse was not added until 1892 by Charles Gabriel. (You can find out more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_in_a_Manger )

Here are the lyrics:
Away in a manger,
No crib for His bed
The little Lord Jesus
Laid down His sweet head
The stars in the bright sky
looked down where He lay
Matthew 2:1&2 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, 
2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
The little Lord Jesus
Asleep on the hay
Luke 2:12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

The cattle are lowing
The poor Baby wakes
But little Lord Jesus
No crying He makes
I love Thee, Lord Jesus
Look down from the sky
And stay by my side,
'Til morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus,
I ask Thee to stay
Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

1 Chronicles 28:20 And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD.

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. 
Close by me forever
Psalm 38:21 Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me.
And love me I pray
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care
Mark 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
And take us to heaven
To live with Thee there
John 14:1-4 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. 
4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.


It seems like anyone who has ever recorded Christmas music has probably recorded "Away in a Manger".  I chose Anne Murray because her music and her voice reminds me of Dad.  He liked to listen to her when we were travelling and we attended a couple of her concerts, including a Christmas concert probably 25 years ago.  I also like the alternative recording of this song.  There are some others who have recorded it like this as well, such as Michael W. Smith.  I hope you enjoy it.

No comments: