Thursday, December 1, 2011

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

I'm not sure how it came to be December first already.  My calendar continues to be stuck in August or September and when I go outside without a coat on, I am still mildly surprised that the weather has changed.  We don't live in an area where shirking a coat in December is such a great idea either, although the run-up to winter solstice has been pretty mild in these parts so far.

I survived Black Friday by staying home and spending time with my kiddos.  We fooled around most of the day and then in the evening we picked up Grandma and went to hear the Ohio State Marching Band concert at Stranahan Theater.  They always perform somewhere locally when it is OSU's turn to travel to The Big House for The Big Game.  The concert was outstanding as usual.  The outcome of the game was, well, I'm going to have to leave that up to each one of you to decide.  That will keep you in suspense as to where my loyalty lies. For the record, I would love to go hear the U of M Marching Band perform as well because you can take the nerd out of the marching band, but you can never take the marching band out of the nerd.  

Trumpeters of the world unite!


Hi.  My name is T and I'm a band nerd.  I sometimes refer to our kids by their rank and file number.

Hi F1, er, T, we like your uniform. 

Ahem...

We started playing Christmas music in the car a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving.  Usually I do this to annoy my 14 year old son.  I like to dance to "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree" while we are sitting at a stoplight just so he can say, "Mom! People are watching us!  Aren't you embarrassed?"  My response is, "No, are you?", while I observe him scrunching down in the seat and hiding his head from the embarrassment of it all.  Unfortunately, right now he is visiting my sister in Florida so I haven't been able to embarrass him with this behavior just yet.  Last year he tried to tell someone that "I wasn't right", somehow implying that my behavior was ridiculous!  Imagine!

Anyway, I'm going to try and post a different Christmas song everyday and give a little bit of explanation why I like the song.  We'll see how far I get in this little challenge. I  predict by 12/04 I will already be behind in this goal, much like Christmas shopping for our family. 

If we owned a ladder and a bunch of Christmas lights, I would love to do this to the house just to further embarrass poor Richard. Fortunately, for him, one of our trees is right outside his bedroom window!

(scroll down to the bottom and turn of the play list before you watch the video)

No comments: