A couple of years ago, I heard a statistic that in our area, about 30% of our Christmases are white. It certainly wasn't our year this year, since the temperature has barely dipped into the 30's much at all. There's been plenty of rain though, which would have left us buried until spring if it had been snow. I like snow at Christmas, but I'm not one who has a hard time "getting into the Christmas spirit" just because there isn't snow on the ground. I have a hard time catching the spirit because of the absolute ridiculous commercialism though.
About twenty years ago I took a group of people to Orlando over their Christmas shut down. We were staying in a hotel and since the temperatures were in the 80's, we took advantage of the swimming pool. While we were swimming, I realized that the hotel was playing Christmas music on their speaker system out by the pool. I had a good laugh over listening to Bing Crosby crooning over his dream of a white Christmas while we were swimming in 80 degree weather. It was quite odd and I was not inspired in the least to wish for snow that year, in spite of Bing's best attempt to persuade me otherwise.
Our Great Grandmother lived in Toledo and it took forever to get to her house. When I was a kid, I remember sitting in the back seat of the car while Dad drove us to see her and he always pointed out the Christmas lights along the way. Listening to CKLW, I remember Mom and Dad singing this song in the car on the way to see Grandma. I also remember listening to Mom sing it while she baked cookies for us.
We can all dream of a white Christmas, but no one can sing it like Bing Crosby.
No comments:
Post a Comment