Saturday, December 17, 2011

Chicago's "Let it Snow"

"Let it Snow" is a fun Christmas song, although honestly, I'm not sure why it's only used at Christmas.  I don't think there's anything overly Christmasy about it therefore there's no reason why it couldn't be used anytime during the winter.  It's fun enough that it's unfortunate the song only gets play time starting two weeks before Halloween and ending 45 seconds after midnight on December 25.  Keeping all of that in mind, I have been known to sing this song with gusto each time it snows; sometimes while I'm out shoveling it, much to the consternation of my kids.  It is during these times that the kids also either give me weird looks or join in with equal abandon.  I imagine there is a day coming when they will look at me with pity while they are hauling me off to the loony bin or at least a home for people with no sense of when to sing certain songs, while surreptitously giving each other high fives. 

Moving along...

"Let it Snow" was written in 1945 by Sammy Cahn (lyricist) and composed by Jule Styne.  It's been recorded countless times by artists such as: Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Harry Connick, Jr., Chicago and Michael Buble'.  The list of people who haven't recorded "Let it Snow" is probably shorter, such as me.  Anyway, the recording by Bing Crosby is probably the one that most reminds me of Christmas when I was a kid and I still love his rendition.  But, there's a lot to be said for Harry Connick, Jr.'s big band style recording, not to mention Michael Buble's.

On the other hand, who doesn't like Chicago?  In high school marching band, we played "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" with the "Get Away" tag at the end and everyone danced to "You're the Inspiration" and "Hard Habit to Break" at our Senior Prom.  Turns out the people we were dancing with were neither all that inspiring, nor did anyone end up needing a twelve step program to break their boy/girlfriend habit after all.  Anyway, if you attended "Purple Rain" at Swanton High School in 1985, then you know what I'm talking about.  Also, the whole purple thing was apparently a nod to Prince's recording of "Purple Rain" which was hugely popular at the time and had the added benefit of incorporating our school colors.  It was not a reference to some bizarre atmospheric condition in Swanton.  In fact, Prince may have had our school in mind when he recorded the song, who knows?  Mad props must go to the decorating committee. 

But I digress. 

When Chicago played Centennial Hall (now, Savage Arena) at the University of Toledo, my friends and I scored tickets in a section right next to the stage.  Ticket price - $20, being close enough to watch them blow the spit out of their horns - priceless. <---That's because we were all brass players and spit is just part of the game.  It isn't gross unless you purposefully and deliberately empty your spit valve on someone's shoe.  Not that my sisters and I ever tried such a stunt when mom was forcing us to we were practicing.  On second though, maybe it wasn't that priceless...  Anyway, when they played the Toledo Zoo Amphitheater, we were thrilled to sit and listen to them drown out the sounds of the lions roaring. Or who knows, maybe the lions were showing their appreciation to the sound of real instruments in this group.  Peter Cetera was the lead singer at the time until he went out on his own, but mid/late-80's Chicago will forever remind me of high school.

Here's Chicago's version of "Let it Snow" with their signature harmonies and instrumentals.



Just for fun, here's Bing Crosby, Mr. Christmas himself.

No comments: