Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Michael W. Smith's "Gloria/Angels We Have Heard on High"

I was listening to Michael W. Smith long before he was officially cool.  It all started at a youth retreat at Fort Wayne Bible College back in the mid 80's.  My cousin was attending school there so I went to check out the school and attend the weekend retreat.  She had MWS's first cassette, entitled Michael W. Smith Project and there was a little song on it called "Friends".  By the time the weekend ended, I was hooked on MWS and by the time the school year ended, I had our entire high school singing "Friends" while the seniors all bawled at commencement because of the message in that song.  I may even be personally responsible for the success of that song in Northwest Ohio.

I may also be delusional but that's between my psychiatrist and myself, thankyouverymuch.  I may have forgotten to take my medication today too.

Moving along...

I was thrilled when MWS released a Christmas project and "Gloria/Angels We Have Heard on High" quickly became a favorite of mine.  It is impossible to listen to this song without a) turning up the volume b) tapping out a beat either on your steering wheel, your sibling sitting next to you in the backseat or the headrest of the seat your parent is sitting in and c) drive the speed limit while listening to it.  This song moves, is what I'm saying and it will make you move too!  It's got some of Michael W. Smith's signature keyboard sound in it as well as some great orchestral arrangements, not to mention the full choir in the background. 

I dare you to listen to this song without speeding down the road and getting a ticket, tapping your feet or busting out a beat on your little brother or sister.  Better do it while your parents aren't watching though or they'll gitcha.

No comments: