When I was a kid I listened to my Grandma sing "Silent Night" one Christmas and I thought that perhaps the angels were singing. I don't really know if Grandma was that great a singer, but in my childish mind, her rendition of "Silent Night" was simply beautiful to me. Even if she wasn't, this was her favorite Christmas carol and it always reminds me of her.
It also reminds me of something that happened about five or six years ago; in Dad's van on the way home from Gatlinburg in July, Kate, Corinne and Bethany were singing. Kids sing whatever they like, whenever they want to and as it comes to their minds. They could really care less whether or not they sing Christmas music during the appropriate season so they were singing "Silent Night".
Corinne and Bethany had very high soprano voices at that time since they were probably five and six years old. While they were singing, it got really quiet in the van and when they ended, my Dad said, "That was my Mom's favorite Christmas song. You girls sang that very well. Will you sing it again?" So, they sang it again for Grandpy. It was beautiful as only little girls who love to sing can do it. From my seat in the van, I saw Dad wipe a few tears from his eyes. Whether this was in response to him missing his parents or because the girls sang that song with their hearts is anyone's guess. I just know that this remains a poignant memory of mine; especially this year since Dad won't be with us to celebrate anymore Christmases.
This is what I think of when I sing "Silent Night".
Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace
Luke 2:6-7 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
and later in Luke;
Luke 2:19 But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.
Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ, the Saviour is born
Christ, the Saviour is born
Luke 2:8-12 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
2 Peter 1:17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
John 1:1-5 In the beginning was the word (Jesus), and the word (Jesus) was with God and the word was God
2 The same was in the beginning with God
3 All things were made by Him and without Him was not anything made that was made
4 In Him was life and the life was the light of man
5 And the light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehended it not
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
John 3:16-21 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
Jesus, Lord at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth "
The following recording starts out with the trombone section of the U.S. Army Concert band which fades into an acapella rendition of "Silent Night" sung by the Soldiers' Chorus. The acapella element seems fitting for this song. Additionally, the lead trombone has a tone reminiscent of my Mom's. This video reminds me of falling asleep many nights when I was a kid, to the sound of my Mom practicing her horn.
And just because I wanted too, here's a rare recording of Frank Sinatra accompanied on the piano by his son Frank Sinatra, Jr. The simplicity of the piano and vocals is appealing and fits well with this song.
"Silent Night" sung in other languages always fascinates me because the hymnal our church used when I was a kid, also included the alternate language which of course prompted us to sing it phonetically. I'm sure we did a bang up job that was appealing to anyone within hearing range. I ran across this video, the description of which appears to be in either German or Dutch. Through a very rudimentary understanding of German, I believe it says the concert was in 1995 (ok, that part was clear) in the Doelen concert hall in Rotterdam. The choir was under the direction of Leitung von Cor de Haan. The flautist is Margaret Roest and the orchestra played under the direction of Altistin Tamar Niamut. I included it because of the size of the choir and the pipe organ. It offers a very impressive backdrop and I would love to hear it's throaty bass pipes. This recording proves the old adage that music really is a universal language.
No comments:
Post a Comment