It just isn't Christmas until you have heard 34 different renditions of Joy to the World. Musically, most of them leave a lot to be desired even though the words themselves leave us expectantly waiting for the soon return of Jesus.
If you have known me for any length of time, then you know that my all time favorite trumpet player is Phil Driscoll. Back in the early 90's I had the privilege of accompanying him along with 50 other trumpeters in a Christmas concert that he performed with the Ohio/Michigan Choir as well as 100 or so local voices. We played at Savage Hall on campus at the University of Toledo and at Chrysler Arena at the University of Michigan. It was an unforgettable experience. And just in case you happen to think I must be an outstanding player, the answer to that is no. I am mediocre at best, but I play with my heart, not just notes on a page and those two days we raised the roofs on those arenas and had a blast doing it. I think maybe Gabriel (yes, the angel) might have had a little tear in his eye or possibly even been a little jealous.
Ahem...moving along...(I'm kidding about that stuff with Gabriel you know!)
The thing that impacted me the most was how Phil Driscoll mingled with all of the trumpet players, offering tips and allowing people to hold and (I think) play his trumpet. He was so down to earth and humble that I was really impressed with the way he conducted himself. He even lined up with everyone for a photo shoot and then proceeded to sign the pictures for us all. He also allowed us to keep the music which I believe were actual charts he used in his recordings. Pretty cool! I must thank my Mom for encouraging me to do it since at the time, I had not been consistently playing my trumpet for at least six years or longer.
Joy to the world, the Lord has come, let earth receive her King!
1Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
One day the trumpet will blow and we will see Christ returning triumphantly. That's going to be a really cool day!
Here's Phil's jazzy, swingy, big bandy (c'mon work with me, I need consistency here) reminiscent version of "Joy to the World" from the CD Let Heaven and Nature Swing. Let me tell you, if Phil gets to play in Heaven, it's going to be a rockin', swingin', praisin' God, rollicking good time up there! I hope I get to jam with him 'cuz if my talent is perfected in Heaven, that would be outrageous!
No comments:
Post a Comment