Monday, June 8, 2009

Explaining the Title

A few days ago I told my Mom I set up a blog. She said, "A what?" So I attempted to explain what a blog was.

Then I told her the name of my blog: "T's Tomes". I said, "I always wanted to have my own bookstore. I wanted to call it T's Tomes even though most people probably don't know what a "tome" is. If it was a good bookstore, it wouldn't matter if people understood the name or not. When I was a kid, I thought if I had my own bookstore I could somehow spend the whole day reading and get paid to do it. When I grew up (sort of), I realized I would go out of business because I would be too busy reading my books to actually sell any which is obviously why I have the job I have instead. I would also be fired from my imaginary librarian job that I used to want to have because I would be hanging out in the stacks reading stuff instead of shelving it.

So I have a blog now, instead.

Mom said, "What's a tome?"


I told you most people don't know what a tome is.

A tome is a large or scholarly book or a roll of papyrus. Even though this blog is obviously not a book, will probably never be scholarly and does not resemble papyrus in any way, I called it T's Tomes because of my bookstore I never got to own and of course the novel that has been written in my mind, published, and sits in the coveted best seller location in my imaginary bookstore. I may have gone on book signing tours but if you weren't paying attention you probably missed me when I was in your city.

The other idea I came up with was Delta Deffely's Diatribes and Dialogue or The 4 D's. But that seemed like too much of a mouthful and even though there might possibly be one or two people who might comment on this craziness I've concocted, I doubt there would be actual dialogue. However, on occasion I reserve the right to go off on a diatribe if I want to. It's my blog and I can do what I want.

This is T's Tomes and if you laugh a little while you are here, then my work has been successful.

2 comments:

Balwigs said...

I thought I should be the first to leave a comment. First. If you had a bookstore can you read and run it? Customer: "Mamm, Where is Harold and the Purple Crayon or Dig a Hole? T: mmm, Huh? What? and you point to a stack of books. Second: If you were to write a tome....which is what it would be if you were to write a book....then would it be scholarly? I think not. :-) Did you pass Blatnik's class? Ok, maybe Dielman's? HA! However, inspite of your passing or not passing classes... I think it could be classified as scholarly for this reason. If Mel and I could actually read through a tome...you know that is a big IF! Then here would be our conversation....Mel do you know what T is talking about? Mel: "No, I was just going to ask you. Have you ever heard of the words she used? Nope! I think she made them up! HA! So enjoy your blog.... At least I didn't have to explain it to Mom.

Think she would be able to find it? You can explain that one to her too. :-)

I wonder if you could fill cyberspace T?
T's cybertome.

You know who I am.

T said...

Darn. "T's Cybertome" would have been a much better name for this blog. I guess I should have thrown out the idea that I was going to do this and taken suggestions for the name of it.

If I would have had my own bookstore I would have lost it after about two months. But I wonder how many books you can read in two months if you could read uninterrupted for 8 hrs/day?

Remember Kenny? When he made me mad I would deliberately talk over his head because I knew he didn't know what I was saying. Kind of mean now that I think about it but it used to make me laugh. He used to say, "I don't know what that means." Duh. That's why I said it. Go away now.

For the record, I have made up words before just to see if anyone is paying attention. So far, I haven't been caught.

Once I got accused of plagiarizing a paper for Botlz's 9th grade English class. Please. She was just jealous because she didn't know what I was talking about either. As for Diehlman, if you turned it in that was an automatic "A" wasn't it? She couldn't open her eye long enough to grade papers could she?

Maybe I should look up Phillip since neither one of us can be understood by the average Joe (the Plumber). :)