Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My (non-existent) Book

Like the ocean tides, my dream of writing has ebbed and flowed throughout my life. But it's the consistency and the constancy of the dream that makes me think that now might be time.  For as long as I can remember I have envisioned my book sitting in the New Releases section of the local bookstore.  Copies of it would be in every library in the country and I would tour the local schools giving pep talks about how "yes, kids, no matter how long it takes, how many years, people who may discourage you, etc., you too can achieve your dream." 

Like waves breaking on the beach, ideas for this non-exisitent book come and go and I can never fully decide which direction to take.  Should I try and write a novel?  I've heard they are hard to sell.  What about non-fiction?  This one I can usually quite easily dismiss with the thought, "What on Earth do I know that anyone would be even remotely interested in reading about?"  In frustration, I shelve my dream and go read someone else's book.

About five years ago while having a conversation with a friend (hi, Elizabeth), she asked me if I had ever considered writing.  When I confirmed that I had spent a lot of time in my life dreaming of doing just that, she told me she thought I should get started.  Then she proceeded to tell me who the target audience should be and what type of book she thought I should write.  I thought she was just being kind because I had sent her an outrageously long email she had to wade through and if I was distracted by writing a book, then I wouldn't have time to write epic-long emails.  She also told me I should start a blog so if you are bored out of your mind while reading this, it's probably her fault.  Just kidding.... 

About a year ago, I came up with a brilliant idea although truthfully, it is a blatant rip-off of Elizabeth's with a slight variation in regards to the audience.  I was at the Christian bookstore looking for something.  I had no specific title in mind, I just knew that when I saw it I would know that I had found what I wanted.  I scoured the shelves and picked up two or three books that I thought might fit the bill.  They looked promising, but they were not exactly what I envisioned.  It was at this point that the whisper of the long-held dream drifted through my thoughts.  

"What you are looking for doesn't exist.  Write your own."
"Yeah, sure.  I can do that."
"Yes, you can."

"What if no one reads it?  What if no one wants to buy it?"
"So what? Write it for your family."

I left the bookstore and hurried home, got out my old notebook and pen and started brainstorming my book.  I felt as if I needed at least 30 topics to start with and I came up with 21 pretty easily.  I have considered the layout and design of this book, the target audience and most importantly, I have prayed about it.

Several days after the nonproductive trip to the bookstore, I pitched my idea to another friend (hi, Rachel) and she said she thought it was an excellent idea.  She told me she would buy a book like I was suggesting.  Of course, I told her I would give her an autographed copy because what kind of friend would I be if I made her buy it?  I will also give Elizabeth an autographed copy and probably anyone else who is interested in it which is why it's going to take forever to write this book; we need some money so I can't quit my day job and clearly, the book is going to be a give-away.

When the incident in the bookstore happened and the conversations I had with Elizabeth flooded my memory, I just laughed.  God is funny like that.  I have had this desire since I was a kid.  However, the time was never right, I didn't know what to write and doubted that I could even do it.  Then, he placed Elizabeth in my life to encourage me and plant the seed.  Again, the time wasn't right.  By the time I found myself in the bookstore, I was frustrated by what I couldn't find and decided to do something about it. 

I fully believe that God would not give me the desire to do this, if He did not intend to equip me to do it and I further believe that God is telling me the time is right.

I may not ever actually get my book into a bookstore, but I fully intend to dedicate time to work on it.  I may not ever actually sell one copy of it, but I fully intend to do what I believe God has called me to do.  The real goal is to have something of substance that I can put into the hands of my kids to read, study, to help them understand more about the One who loves them more than I do.

Walt Disney said, "If you can dream it, you can do it." and in Philippians 4:13, Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

I think the time is right.

No comments: