I used to sing a very simple song to the kids when they were babies:
"Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am God."
When Corinne was in the hospital at five months old and no one knew what was wrong with her, I held that tiny little baby and through the tears of a scared mother, sang the second verse:
"I am the God who healeth thee.
I am the God who healeth thee.
I am the God who healeth the."
No one knew if she was going to make it through the night or not. But God did and it comforted me to know that He did. I needed to be still and know that the situation was under His control. Two years later, I held another one of my babies in a different hospital and sang the same song.
"Be still and know that I am God
I am the God who healeth thee
Be still and know that I am God"
Recently, some situations came up that gave me pause to really think about the simple words, meaning and truth conveyed in this chorus. Be still...settle down, calm your thoughts, give them to God and He will replace your thoughts with His own. When we are calm, we are able to listen. It is comforting when we replace our worry with His quiet strength. Be still so that you can listen to His calm voice.
...and know that I am God. There is no other besides Him. God is our provider, protector, our Physician, friend, comforter, our Abba Father, our beginning and end. If we have Him, we don't really need anything else.
What I came to realize that night was that God was telling me I needed to slow down and stop running ahead of the game. I can't know His will if I'm ahead, behind or beside it. I have to be right in the center of His will to know what it is. Only God knows what is up the road and He will reveal that to me when the time is right. He knows the outcome of every trial we face, personally, in our families and as a nation.
Be still and know that I am God.
Cast all your worry and fear at the feet of a loving Saviour and be still so you can know that He IS God.
Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment